Thursday, September 16, 2010

Kanye West Interviews Himself For XXL Magazine




Kanye West says he often feels slighted by the media, claiming that journalists either twist his words or miss the humor in his responses. Well, the outspoken rapper will have only himself to blame if he doesn't enjoy the October issue of XXL.

'Ye graces the cover of the magazine and penned the story himself, a first-person narrative in which he opens up about the aftermath of his 2009 MTV Video Music Awards stunt where he interrupted Taylor Swift's acceptance speech.

"In a way, I had thrown a Molotov cocktail at my own career, and it gave me an opportunity, for the first time, to go away and find out who I was," he wrote. "Because I felt very alone.

"I stress that the incident wasn't about Taylor personally," he explained. "And it definitely wasn't about race. Where I messed up is, at the end of the day, it's your show, Taylor. It's your show, MTV."

After the incident, 'Ye was vilified by the public and became a punching bag for comics, critics and even President Barack Obama. He also lost onetime fans who had had enough of the superstar's stage-crashing antics. West said an apology — to everyone — was necessary.

"The relationship with the public and with your fans is like the relationship with your girlfriend," he wrote. "How could I not, at a certain point, be like, 'I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been at the awards show. I'm sorry'? Not that I don't deserve to get beat up or change who I am inside, to make sure that that doesn't happen again.

"I knew I wasn't in a great spot publicly after the incident, but I would just block it out and work as hard as possible and let my work be my saving grace," he added.

In addition to penning a story about himself, West also curates the magazine's special 40-page section, temporarily taking the title of "creative director."

The issue arrives on newsstands September 28 and will also feature stories on Kid Cudi, Wiz Khalifa and a package on producers-turned-rappers, à West.

-via MTV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Karmaloop.com

Visitors