Friday, February 7, 2014

SleepShield - A Better Night's Sleep With Your Technology

Let me start by asking you a question:
  • Do you know what Blue Light is? 

 Well for me the answer to this question above was "No". I have found countless articles on Blue Light and studies that have been done. One of the articles that stood out was by Chris Kresser:

"It is well established that short-wavelength or “blue” light is the most melatonin-suppressive; this is the type of light typically emitted by devices such as televisions, computer screens, and cellphones. (14, 15) To produce white light, these electronic devices must emit light at short wavelengths, close to the peak sensitivity of melatonin suppression. (16) This means that products such as tablets, smartphones, and other devices with self-luminous electronic displays are major sources for suppressing melatonin at night, thereby reducing sleep duration and disrupting sleep"(Via How artificial light is wrecking your sleep by Chris Kresser)

Now that I have you a little scared and confused on why you have not heard of Blue Light before, there are many solutions. One of them is the SleepShield.
(Picture via SleepShield.com)

I was given the opportunity to try out the SleepShield on a few of my devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook). Before I talk about my experience, do you guys remember back in the day before laptops, smartphones, tablets, portable gaming systems, etc. how you went to sleep? Well we went to sleep a lot quicker. Now we are in bed on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or trying to get a small bird through small holes by tapping the screen (FlappyBird). This causes what our generation refers to as "Insomnia". Well it's not really insomnia. Now I am not saying that putting a SleepShield on your device will magically make you put your device away and go to sleep. But, It may help.

Packaging (iPhone Version):







I am not a big fan of screen protectors. I have tried countless brands and felt that they make my screen feel sticky. I like the feeling of my smartphone screen the way it is. I was surprised that the SleepShield  felt pretty good on my iPhone.

This was really simple to put on. I used the microfiber cloth to clean the device and then put the SleepShield on. One thing I was really disappointed in was the small cardboard squeegee. Not even sure if I can call this a squeegee. Usually a little force needs to be put in to take bubbles out, and this did do the trick but bended a few times along the way. I am used to the rubber squeegee that is a little more sturdy. Nevertheless I was off to the races with my iPhone and ready to be in bed while using my phone. 

Some of you may ask me - Did you fall asleep faster?
I fell asleep. I have used this for a couple of nights and I have to say that I did not have to post an Insomnia tweet out there. It is hard to judge a product like this because everyone sleeps differently. For me I really enjoyed it - It gives me the best of a few worlds:
  • Screen Protector
  • Anti-Blue Light
  • Makes my screen feel smooth
  • So far I have slept pretty good since I have had it on
I would really recommend this for everyone to try out. If you are looking to purchase a screen protector then you might as well take the extra step and get an Anti-Blue Light protector which will help you in the long run.

SleepShield is available for many devices out there. Everything from a Kindle - Nintendo 3Ds - Samsung Galaxy S4 and many many more devices.

Yes the SleepShield is TerryMcFly approved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any questions – comment below. You can reach me via email TheSheikh@TerryMcfly.com or via Twitter @TheSheikh

Also remember to follow the TerryMcFly.com Facebook page for updates.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Karmaloop.com

Visitors